If you are here during the end of year holidays, chances are that you are here to ski or snowboard – one of the main attractions in Killington during the winter.
If, however, there are days when it’s too cold to be on slopes, or if you have people in your party who are not skiers or riders, or if you just need a break, there are plenty of other opportunities to keep yourself busy.
Killington Mountain of course has its own set of activities that they recommend, and many of them are fun. But here are a few alternative activities to do in the area:
- Snowshoeing – there are plenty of great trails around the area for snowshoeing on your own, or you can take a snowshoeing tour with the folks at Bear Trax Adventures. Other places to snowshoe include the Mountain Top Inn, and the Mountain Meadows.
- Cross country skiing – For cross-country skiing, we recommend the Mountain Top Inn and the Mountain Meadows.
- Snowmobiling – If speed and outdoor vehicles are your thing, try snowmobiling, you can go with Snowmobile Vermont, which give you the option of groomed trail or backcountry tours. If you have your own snowmobile, and feel adventurous, check out VAST. The Mountain Top Inn is on the VAST system and offers 30 min tours.
- Fat biking & ski biking – if you want to give fat biking or ski biking a chance, try contacting the Alpine Bike Works – they will set you up and recommend the best places to go.
- Dog sledding – a little bit further from Killington, you can combine a dogsledding ride in Windsor VT, with a visit to the Simon Pierce glass blowing facility, a taste of the Silo distillery products and the Blake Hill jams, and then stop for lunch at the Harpoon Brewery – all at the Artisan Park in Windsor.
- Sleigh Rides – Killington has snowcat-drawn sleigh rides, while the Mountain Top Inn has traditional horse-drawn sleigh rides.
- Ice skating – you can ice skate right on the access road at The Foundry, or on the many ponds and lakes in the area
Fun for kids
- Movies, bowling, etc. – being only 10 miles from Rutland, Vermont’s second largest city, you can take your kids to the movies, head to the Rutland Bowlerama or Wonderfeet’s Kids Museum. Rutland also offers beautiful building murals that the kids love to find. And they just opened a brand new McDonalds with PlayPlace.
- Tubing – Killington has its own tubing park at the Killington golf course
- Arcade games – enjoy a locally brewed beer at the Killington Beer company while your kids play in the arcade in their spacious game room.
- Billings Farm – 30 minutes southeast of Killington, in Woodstock, is the Billings Farm, a farm/museum to preserve the character of rural Vermont.
- VINS – Vermont Institute of Natural Science. A Wild bird rehab place, you can get close to eagles, falcons, and owls.
- Massage & Spa – we recommend the Spa at the Woods, where you can bring your own drinks and enjoy a wonderful massage in a zen-like environment with a full size pool, a hot tub, a steam room, a sauna, and an gym.
- Himalayan Salt Cave –Unwind and relax in the Salt Cave at the Pyramid Holistic Wellness Center on Merchant’s Row in Rutland.
- Woodstock – walking through Woodstock is like strolling in a Hallmark movie, especially in the winter. If you go to Woodstock, make sure to stop by the Farmers Market. Other things to see in Woodstock are the covered bridge, the Billings Farm, and not too far from that are Ottauquechee falls and the Taftsville covered bridge. If the roads are not too bad, you may also want to visit the Sleepy Hollow farm in Pomfret VT.
- Plymouth – another Hallmark movie-like town, Plymouth was the birthplace of President Coolidge. While visiting downtown Plymouth you may also stop by the Plymouth Cheese factory, the second oldest cheese factory in the US, started by President Coolidge’s father.
For a calendar of events, we recommend you check the Mountain Times, which is available in every store, restaurant, and hotel. You can also check them out online.
We’re sure we missed a few things. If you have other suggestions, leave them in our comments.
Now we’ll take time for a one sentence sales pitch. We are a real estate company, so if you liked the place you rented this holiday period, we can probably help you find a similar place to call your own.